Thursday, June 10, 2010

Welcome to the Jungle!

I'm new to blogging but a veteran to style and fashion... or so that seems to be the general consensus amongst my friends and family. I was urged (and also finally figured) that it was about time I took my knowledge and eye to the streets, err, web. 


My mission? To help the everyday Jackson and Juliette add a little spice to their closet. Spice? Well that doesn't necessarily have to come in the form of leopard print stilettos or a pink silk skinny tie. IT CAN! But not always and thats not the type of blog I'm trying to write. Spice, my friends, can come in the form a perfectly tailored suit or accessories that make that Target dress look like it came stomping straight out of ELLE magazine. THIS is the type of blog I am trying to write. 


But before we get to all that... Let us start with what we have. Yes, I am going to ask you to do something you might hate me for..  (uh oh! hate so soon??!!) I'm asking you to go into that jungle of a closet of yours and clear that bad boy out!! Its summer and all you want is a new wardrobe, right? At least thats how I feel! Hell, it could be Flag Day tomorrow and that would even merit me wanting to buy a new wardrobe, but anyway.. What better way to justify all that shopping than by starting off with a little summer cleaning! 


The best way to attack this animal: toss items that you haven't worn in over a year. That sweater your mom gave you two birthdays ago that you haven't worn, garbage! The next step, adding all those items that are too small and too big to that pile! No need to keep them laying around until you have a "fat day" or what have you. Lets go buy some clothes that fit and make you happy, fat day or skinny day, your clothes should fit EVERYDAY! Once that's out of the way and you're down to organizing your leftovers, start out by color and type of garment. Pants in one spot, light to dark, you get the idea. This will make life so much easier for you! Especially when you're ready for a night out or have literally 5 minutes to get ready to go to work because you're hungover and have pressed snooze a few too many times. Yeah, been there. Accessories, lay them out so you can see them, there's a greater chance you will wear them when you constantly have eye contact. Shoes, now that depends on what type of space you are dealing with. Clear containers with labels, shoes laid out on the bottom level or neatly placed on shelves... it all works the same in my book. Just as long as you can see them.  


This is basically the theme... The more you can see your clothes, the more likely you'll find yourself wearing them instead of tossing them come next summer because they've been collecting dust for 12 months ;)


And to make this monster of a task worth your while? Take those bags of clothes you've parted with over to your local Salvation Army and DING! DING! DING! Tax Deduction baby :) Just make sure its itemized! 





Let's let that clean closet marinate for a few days, until next time kids.

4 comments:

  1. Great post with tons of helpful pointers. Does the same concept work for drawers too? I tend to always pull out whatever is on top because its there and tend to never dig underneath and see what else I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two things you can do with clothing in drawers.. One idea I use with my tank tops. Lay them out vertically in the drawer for easy access. And organize them from light to dark, so that you can see all of the colors that you have. Its helpful because you can fit a lot of pieces into a small space. And its easy to look, grab and go!

    The other idea you can use, with t-shirts especially, is to fold the shirts the way you would find them in a boutique, you know nice and neat!! Place them in a stack. Flip the stack on its side, with the logos (if any) facing you. So instead of them being sandwiched in the drawer on top of each other, you open the drawer and immediately see all its contents and a tiny snap shot of what each item is. Super efficient!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your posting. I am looking forward to future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just added you to my Favorites. Keep the tips coming :)

    ReplyDelete